Senior study

Senior study in New South Wales

Years 10, 11 and 12 are your final years of school when you are able to earn an official credential from BOSTES recording your educational achievement – the Higher School Certificate (HSC) or the Record of School Achievement (RoSA).

Image of a basic diagram showing which study years you can achieve the Record of School Achievement or 'RoSA' (which is after completing Year 10, in Year 11 or 12) and the Higher School Certificate or HSC (which is usually after completing Year 12). Diagram also shows you can get an eRecord or sit the optional Literacy and Numeracy tests in Years 10, 11 and 12.

What is senior study in New South Wales

Your achievement in Year 10 through to Year 12 is reported in different ways depending on the choices you make for your senior study, from the RoSA to the HSC.

How your HSC works

If you are completing Year 12, the HSC year marks your last year at school, the end of a journey that began in Kindergarten. How your HSC works is a step-by-step overview of what is involved in achieving your HSC.

HSC subject selection

In order to get the best HSC result possible, you should choose courses that you are good at, interested in and may use in the future. Learn more about the types of HSC courses, pathways available and what you need to consider if you want an ATAR.

HSC Rules and Procedures

You will receive a copy of the HSC Rules and Procedures when you start your HSC study, outlining important information you need to know about HSC enrolment, assessment, exams and results.

Leaving school and the RoSA

If you decide to leave school before completing your HSC, the RoSA is the credential you will use when applying for employment, further education or training. The RoSA records your grades or participation in courses from Year 10 up to when you leave. You can also choose to sit voluntary literacy and numeracy tests.